The Enemy Within
Originally posted on Townhall Interface blog on November 10, 2006. Even scarier now than then.
In my last post I made the assertion that “The second enemy is the liberal leftist, socialist, dare I say, communist worldview that permeates Western civilization in both Europe and the U.S.” (Technically, communism and socialism are distinguishable, but their policies, goals, and underlying philosophy are so often indistinguishable that for the purposes of this essay they will be considered the same thing.) I want to provide the evidence for this claim in perhaps a more unique way than might have been expected. I will assume only that the reader is somewhat conversant with the problems seen and talked about in American culture, i.e., our current culture wars.
In 1953, W. Cleon Skousen wrote The Naked Communist. In that book he listed 45 Communist goals and noted that anyone willing to do his or her homework, i.e., read the reports of Congressional hearings together with available books by ex-Communists “will find all of these Communist objectives described in detail.” We now have the advantage of slightly over a half a century’s time to see how much progress has been made in achieving these goals, and in so doing, draw our conclusions about the nature of this internal enemy. I will not present the entire list in this post, but you may find it here. Please remember, these were drawn up in the 1950’s. Some goals I’ve listed are just particularly obvious historically speaking. Others are particularly relevant to my last post, and the issues of this last election (I have kept the original numbering for the readers reference):
Their Goals – The Data
3. Develop the illusion that total disarmament by the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
4. Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
6. Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination.
7. Grant recognition of Red China. Admission of Red China to the UN.
11. Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces. (Some Communist leaders believe the world can be taken over as easily by the UN as by Moscow. Sometimes these two centers compete with each other as they are now doing in the Congo.)
15. Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States.
16. Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
17. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
18. Gain control of all student newspapers.
19. Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.
20. Infiltrate the press. Get control of book review assignments, editorial writing, policy-making positions.
21. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV and motion pictures.
22. Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to “eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms.”
23. Control art critics and directors of art museums. “Our plan is to promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art.”
24. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press.
25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio and TV.
26. Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as “normal, natural, healthy.”
27. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with “social” religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a “religious crutch.”
28. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of “separation of church and state.”
29. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a world-wide basis.
30. Discredit the American founding fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the “common man.”
31. Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of “the big picture.” Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took over.
39. Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
40. Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce.
41. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
42. Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special-interest groups should rise up and use “united force” to solve economic, political or social problems.
So, you tell me. How successfully has the Communist/Socialist agenda been implemented? Has the defeat of the Soviet Union hindered it in any way? Although not communist/socialist in name, the only rational conclusion in light of this evidence is that the left (perhaps we should capitalize that, as in The Left) in this country is, indeed, controlled by the Marxist-Leninist worldview of communism. No other worldview has adopted these kind of goals and implemented them so successfully. This is why many call what is going on a “cultural war.” The conflict is real and it is here in this country, taking place in the streets of our cities, the pulpits of our churches, and the halls of our government. The struggle is real and the stakes are high, our very freedoms we love and cherish.
How to respond? Let me provide these thoughts from Martin Luther: “If I profess with the loudest voice and clearest exposition every portion of the truth of God except precisely that little point which the world and the devil are at that moment attacking, I am not confessing Christ, however boldly I may be professing Christ. Where the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is proved, and to be steady on all the battlefield besides is merely flight and disgrace if he flinches at that point.” [Update: this alleged Luther quote does not appear to be verified as a quote from Luther, although it certainly sounds like something he would say. Nevertheless, the concept it expresses is still true.]
For additional reading, I would recommend the book by Dr. Fred Schwarz entitled You Can Trust the Communists (to be Communists). The HazZzMat blog also seems to be plugged in here. [Update: this blogsite has not had recent posts and appears to be inactive.] There are undoubtedly other resources that I’ve not yet located. Feel free to add them to the comments section.